Thursday, December 06, 2007

More Stories

Today's newspaper headline was "It Happened to Us".

I am still in shock about the shootings at Westroads Mall yesterday. That is the mall where I shop. In fact, I was planning to finish my Christmas shopping there this Friday. I know Von Maur's third floor well. I have always gone to the 3rd floor because they have a really nice women's lounge there. I used to take my babies there when they were in diapers because they have two really nice diaper changing stations with wipes and extra diapers and disposable sheets you can put under your baby. The also have a nice sitting area with soft furniture where you can sit and feed your baby. When my daughters were little and still in the stroller, they liked to sit and listen the man playing the grand piano in the atrium.

It is a very nice store and usually I can't afford anything there unless it's on sale. The only time I bought anything full price was when I purchased my daughters' dressy shoes for my sister's wedding! Why does this matter to me? Because I feel like it could have been ME. It could have been anyone I know. When my parents get in town for Christmas they stay for about a month. I could easily see my Mom over there doing her incidental Christmas shopping. Or my sister. Or my friends.

In addition to Linda's story below, here are a few more I have heard since yesterday.

Doug's friend/coworker's niece called her to say she was okay. She was riding down the escalator when the shooting started. She had to step over a slumped body on the escalator in order to get away.

Vickie (the music director at my church) was just opening the door to go IN to Von Maur when people came rushing out and said "Don't go in there!".

Another friend, Vickie, has a neighbor who works at Von Maur. She had just come up the escalator to the 3rd floor. She saw the man and the gun. She ran to get away and for some reason he just went the other direction. Then the shooting started. She is traumatized but okay.

My friend Lynn, who I grew up with, e-mailed to let me know that her cleaning lady's mom was killed in the shooting. I know who she is. She has lived in my neighborhood for forever. Her son was 1 year ahead of me in school. She worked at Von Maur for many years. I remember her from the school and the pool growing up in my neighborhood. She was a very pretty and stylish lady and best of all very friendly and fun and was always smiling. Her name was Jan. She used to babysit my friend Jen until Jen's family moved in next door and my mom became her babysitter.

I am mad at the fuckhead who did this. What a coward. I am mad that they keep showing his picture and saying his name. Let's not give him the fame he wants. From now on, refer to him as the shooter and don't show his face. If you would have only killed yourself, I would have felt sorry for you. Now you will always be a loser asshole who took out innocent people in your selfish rampage.

1 comment:

pete. said...

I am so sad about this.