Linda is a very, very good friend of our family. Here is an e-mail she sent concerning her visit to Westroads Mall yesterday. I am so, so thankful that she is okay.
"I just returned from three hours of meetings at church. The three hours before that, I was at Westroads. After lunch with you guys, I went to Westroads, entered through Von Maur to use their nice bathrooms and then went to The Afternoon to Christmas shop. Soon after, Manager appeared, locked the front doors and moved everyone to the back of the store—just saying that mall security had asked each store to do the same. Got some more details from cell phone contacts. About 30 minutes later, the police came by and escorted us to Penny’s lower level (no windows and few doors) where we all (all shoppers and employees left in Westroad—maybe about three hundred people) spent the next several hours.
Police handled it very well. Lots of people to deal with, but all officers were firm, but courteous. Very well organized to clear such a big facility quickly. During the move to Penny’s there was an officer about every 10 yards, each had a gun or rifle in their hands. I saw lots of big, black guns today, many in the hands of women. Later in Penny’s about one every 20 yards.
People were generally calm. Saw several anxiety attacks. Heard no crying babies, although there were lots of babies around. Lots of police medics around, as well. They’d moved all the witnesses and Von Maur employees off in other areas of Penny’s early on. The rest of us stayed in the shoe department (which at least had lots of places to sit).
Around 3:30 they started letting people leave. Had to give the police name, address, phone number and date of birth. Saw a group of about 10 hispanics moved to another corner of Penny’s.
Thanked God for cell phones and the fact that I always have a book in my purse. Haven’t heard any TV reports yet. People at church told me about the nine dead (our info inside was only 2 to 3 killed) and the suicide shooter. We were told he was still at large dressed in fatigues.
I’ve seen too many guns for one day, but I can remember at least one time being thankful they were there. The rest of the time it was just jarring to see so many uniforms, flack jackets and hand held radios in such a benign place as Westroads.
Love, Linda
PS. A one point a lady came by and asked “Had we seen a middle aged man in a Santa suit and beard?” She was looking for her husband!"
Thursday, December 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment