In the immortal words of Charlie Brown, I killed it. Except it wasn't a scraggly Christmas tree, it was my daughter's blankie.
And now for some background. My daughter is 7 and she is totally and completely attached to her blankie (still). When she comes home from school, she immediately goes to her room to 'check-in' with it. This entails holding it close to the side of her face and sucking her thumb. This blankie came from Jon's sister who crocheted it for J as a baby gift. It has been so loved over the years that it is falling apart. Part of it is just a knotted up clump of very soft light yellow yarn. When I wash it (about once a month) I have to put it in one of those mesh bags so it doesn't fall apart in the washer.
The other day she came home from school, went to her room, and said "Mom! Where's my blankie!?!" I replied, "It's in the dryer!" To which she replied, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Then running downstairs to the dryer, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! You killed it! You KILLED IT!!!!!" Getting it out of the dryer, "MOM!!!! You KILLED my BLANKIE!!!!!!!!!
"I didn't kill it, I just washed and dried it!" "But MOM, that's like killing it! You washed out all of the good smells!" "I'm sorry, it just really needed washing, especially since you were sick last week." "Mom, I can't believe you killed my blankie."
She goes to her room, blankie in hand, muttering from behind her thumb, "You killed my blankie. You killed my blankie." A little while later I check in on her. "How's it going? Are things getting better?" to which my oldest daughter replied, "Mom, she's performing BPR. She's trying to bring her blankie back to life." "Ah", I say, "Keep up the good work. It seems to be coming back to life."
And now we fast forward to bedtime. I am snuggling with J after our story. "Hey, J, what if I were to fix your blankie so it isn't falling apart? I could cut off the scraggly part and sew a satin band on there so it doesn't fall apart anymore. Do you want me to try that?" To which J replies, " Yes, Mommy, you can perform surgery on my blankie."
And so that's what I did. I found some light yellow satin binding that matches perfectly, trimmed off the junk, and sewed it right up, good as new. When J came home from school she was extremely pleased with it. I have been redeemed from killing her blankie. At least until next time.
Tuesday, February 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Geez, when i saw the title i thought maybe you had thrown it down the slide, never to be seen again. Whew! Dad just threw mine away. I'm still kind of sad about that.
I don't mean he JUST threw it away, as in, last week. I mean he threw it away and it was gone forever and he didn't even say anything. He "just" threw it away as if it didn't even mean anything.
Mirculous!!!
The memory of how sad you were about your blankie is what prevents me from doing the same thing! I mean, so what if she still has her blankie when she goes away to college?
for years i thought he had put it on the top shelf in my closet and that somehow made it a little better - but then when i got big enough to reach up there it wasn't there. he didn't even squirrel it away to return to me as an adult for sentimental reasons! i don't remember what i did when it was gone - but you do? did i just walk around dejected? did i cry a lot?
p.s. molly's sister has a blog devoted to "woobies": http://woobieaddicts.blogspot.com/
I think you cried some, but mostly you were sad and confused. Sort of "Why is my blankie gone? I loved it so much!" Aaargh. It makes me mad and sad.
I had a blanket like that. My dog Winston inherited it, took it with him to the kennel. When he got sick on it and they had to throw it out I felt pretty bummed out, even though I was fifteen or so...
Man, I was super scared by that title too--then I thought maybe the washer/dryer combo really *had* killed it. You are probably the very best mom ever for that surgery--that is seriously impressive.
Blade, I don't remember that happening. I am sorry for your loss. I did giggle at the "just" explanation, but that should not take away from my sincerety.
Man, I was super scared by that title too--then I thought maybe the washer/dryer combo really *had* killed it. You are probably the very best mom ever for that surgery--that is seriously impressive.
Blade, I don't remember that happening. I am sorry for your loss. I did giggle at the "just" explanation, but that should not take away from my sincerety.
Post a Comment