Monday, May 22, 2006

Pearlington, Mississippi


This is where I'm going on Friday. As you find it on the map you will see that it is seriously close to New Orleans. Twenty-one of us are going there to continue Hurricane Katrina clean-up. No, they are not rebuilding yet, they are still cleaning up! We will be 'mucking' out people's houses. We will be staying at a Volunteer Village that has been set up by Presbyterian Disaster Assistance. Go here to find out more.

This is a group of people from my church.The drive is more than 16 hours. We're going in our church bus which has 'iffy' at best air conditioning. We are going to be there for a week. Of course it's going to be hot and humid down there. I'm not even sure if we'll have electricity where we're staying. I understand it is also quite buggy.

So. Here's the thing. I am not worried about any of those things. What am I worried about? Stink. I am worried about the STINK. I am greatly afraid that it is going to stink right up to high heaven and down to the bowels of hell. I cannot imagine how gross it could be with all this muddy decay. Not to mention the mold and other fetid detritus.
My friends Jen and Lynn suggested putting a professional grade deodorizer in my face mask or putting Vicks VapoRub on my upper lip. So. Wish me luck.

And if you sould like to donate to this ongoing effort, you may do so here.

4 comments:

bladio said...

this is very cool, i can't wait to hear how it goes.

some advice - put your fingers in your nostrils to block stinkiness.

bladio said...

that is gross. you know what i'm talking about!

Anonymous said...

heh, heh, heh!:-)

Anonymous said...

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOO?

please post.

love,
sally