



We have new babies at our house! Their home is in the tree above our deck. Their nest is in the lowest branch so Jon was able to get these photos. Does anyone remember that book 'Are You My Mother?'? In it a bird falls from a tree and goes around asking everyone that question. The one I remember most clearly is when he asks a steam shovel. The steam shovel makes scary noises but doesn't answer. Then he picks up the bird in his big steel bucket and gently places him back in his nest. I always liked that book!
3 comments:
That book taught me a life lesson somewhere around the first grade. We had it in English and Spanish, and at the time I imagined that different languages were just a matter of the same words using different letters, like just replace all A's with F's, all B's with C's, whatever. So if I could just figure out which English letters mapped to which Spanish letters, then I would know Spanish! Makes sense, no? Well, it DID made sense when I was in first grade!
But I read that book over and over for a few days, and the English words didn't even have the same number of letters than the Spanish words. Then I noticed that there weren't even the same number of words in the sentences. So that's when I figured out that my theory sucked, and I didn't know what I was talking about. And I still didn't know Spanish. Turns out those Spanish people have a different word for everything! (Sorry, Steve Martin).
I guess even back in the early seventies I thought more like a computer geek than a linguist. Oh well.
I did like that book, though.
Es tu mi madre?
(Is that right?)
Funny, just yesterday I was remembering the first time I saw a robin's egg, how blown away I was. Amazing photos!
I think it might be 'Tu es mi madre?' but I could be totally wrong.
Post a Comment