Last week I had my annual mammogram. It wasn't annual, though, because last time I did it was 2002. I am determined to make it an annual thing from now on. Why? Because I am 40 now and because my mom got breast cancer when she was 43. She ended up having a double mastectomy but luckily did not have to have chemo or radiation. She has been cancer free since then. I think the reason I waited so long to have another mammogram is because I am so afraid that they will actually find something. Yes, I know that is not logical- wouldn't I want it to be found right away? Avoidance. I am good at that.
I don't remember a whole lot about that time. My mom was 43 so I would have been in 10th grade. I was so anxious about the surgery and I remember her showing me the scar when she was still in the hospital. It was a horrible huge bloody thing with a drainage tube coming out of it.(She is still not shy about her scar- my daughters have seen it.) I remember driving to the hospital to visit her. I brought her 3 yellow roses from her 3 daughters. She was very touched by that. It was a huge gesture for me. At that time my mom and I hated each other. I was a horrible, selfish, angst-filled teen with an attitude. But the whole episode really shook me. We all chipped in helping around the house. I remember actually ironing my dad's work shirts. I would also fix dinner. Gradually she healed and things got back to normal. Our relationship got back to 'normal', too. But it wasn't nearly so fierce. I think God gave us a time-out.
So, back to my mammogram. It hurt. It was squeezy and pinchy. I felt like the skin from my chin was being pulled into the machine. The technician was wonderful and kind. She would say things like 'are you doing ok?'. I would answer 'yep'. I wasn't ok. It really hurt. But I didn't want them to miss one damn speck of my breast. The technician got 'textbook' images. Thank God I didn't have a 'do-over'. Two days later I got a letter saying that my mammogram was negative. (Does anyone else think that the use of 'negative' in medical situations is confusing? Negative is GOOD? Huh?)
Yay for mammograms. I having one every year. I want to be able to tell my daughters to get mammograms. I want them to have the opportunity to say, with eyes rolling, 'Yeah, right Mom, WHATEVER.' Maybe they won't say that, though. They've seen Granny's scar.
Tuesday, January 31, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment