Monday, February 04, 2008

That 70's Show

I just can't explain why, but I love to listen to the 70's station on XM Radio. Yes, my formative years were spent in the 70s. (I was 10 in 1975, all you math majors.) Is it the familiarity? Because I really do almost know all of the words. Is it comforting? It does bring to mind a different era. Am I just getting old? Probably. Maybe it's what was playing on the car radio back then. Or at Skateland. Or the swimming pool. And really, a lot of it is a different style than I listen to now. Love songs? I really couldn't stomach those now. Are there even any love songs out there? But I sure can sing along with "My Eyes Adored You".
It wasn't until later (Jr. High, actually) that I developed my relationship with Rock Music and all it's underlying angst and attitude. I had a boyfriend in 8th grade who liked K.C. and the Sunshine Band. At that point, I was listening to Styx. That's how cool I was. And 9th grade? I graduated to Supertramp and Pink Floyd. It was around this time that my parents began listening almost exclusively to classical music. So, no more constant exposure to top 40s, I suppose.
And when I got to high school I held my little sister's favorite pop radio station, Sweet 98, in great disdain. Fortunately, (or not, depending) somehow this rubbed off on her a little, so that by the time she was a 5th grader her favorite group was The Police. I was so proud.

So, here is a sampling of love songs from the 70s. Please tell me why I love them so! What is with all this SAPPINESS!?! WHY this personal music regression!?!?!

"Laughter in the Rain" by Neil Sedaka
"You Are So Beautiful" by Joe Cocker
"My Eyes Adored You" by Frankie Valli
"Mandy" by Barry Manilow
"We've Only Just Begun" by The Carpenters
"I Honestly Love You" by Olivia Newton John
"Wedding Song" by Peter, Paul, & Mary
"Annie's Song" by John Denver
"Your Song" by Elton John
"You are the Sunshine of my Life" by Stevie Wonder

Help.

3 comments:

kww said...

Kathy, I was ten in 1984 and I still love all those songs. I think it is a personality disorder. Not environmental influence at all. All nature. Thats my story and I am sticking to it. Can't help what the genes do to you.

jonnynono said...

The Pina Colada Song anyone? Aaack!

bladio said...

I love these songs!!! I love 70's music.