My oldest daughter had an assignment to revise MLK's speech. They were to fill in blanks in his speech with their own ideas. When she completed it I asked her to read it to me. (Parentheses indicate our conversation during her speech.)
I have a dream that one day this nation will be conservative.
(What? Be conservative? What are you saying? There is no way this country needs to be more conservative! Are you serious? No, really, nuh-unh. Mom, it means to conserve, to save energy is what I mean. I looked it up in the dictionary. Oh, my GOSH! Of course. But really, you can't say 'conservative' because that has a whole different meaning. It's political. It's awful! Maybe you could say 'practice conservation'. Okay, Mom, I'll change it. Now would you like to hear the rest of my speech? Yes, please.)
I have a dream that one day this nation will practice conservation.
I have a dream that one day nobody will litter.
I have a dream that one day all countries will be clean.
I have a dream that there will be better transportation to keep the air clean and the amount of natural resources used down.
I have a dream that one day all oceans will have clean water.
I have a dream today.
I have a dream that one day there will be no such thing as pollution.
This is my hope and faith. With this faith we will be able to clean up the earth.
This will be the day when fresh air fills everyone's lungs.
Whew.
Friday, January 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow. I couldn't have said it better...
When we first moved here, we tried to clean up the garbage in out neighborhood. You know, like we used to in chicago. We each had a garbage bag and gloves etc. Well...we couldn't even fill one garbage bag and we walked all the way to Sunset Hills and back (using a different route on the way home) so I would say Omaha is well on the way to fulfilling your daughters dreams.
Post a Comment