I hope not. But maybe I am after yesterday.
I received a phone call at work (I work as a youth director at a church) which was basically a telemarketing call, except that it was a young woman who was selling me Christ. She was promoting a youth event that was happening in May in a nearby city. She proceeded to tell me how much she enjoyed it the times she went. Blah, blah, blah...life changing, inspiring, blah blah blah. (I should note here that it sounded like she was reading from a script. Maybe she wrote it, but she was definitely reading.) Would we be interested in attending? 'No, I don't think so. This is pretty last minute. We've already got our May scheduled.' (See, I'm being nice.)
Then I ask, 'What church denomination are you affiliated with?' (See, I'm guessing the big E...evangelical) I asked this a couple of times in different ways and she never answered me. Would I be interested in receiving more information? 'Um, I guess you could send me something.' (See! I'm still being nice!) blah, blah blah. My evangelical hackles are rising. I admit it. I am prejudiced against this particular brand of Christianity. And who decided that telemarketing Christ was a good idea?
So, now I'm ready to be done with the call. I say, 'Okay, well, thanks for calling.' She says, 'Oh, sure. Before I go, will you pray with me?'
'Um, no.' is what I said.
Friday, April 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I personally think you're safe on this one. I mean, you did manage to resist the temptation to tell her where she could go! And since she's the one who voice-spammed you, taking up your time and weaseling out of telling you the truth about who is really sponsering this event, it seems to me you're off the hook.
I could be wrong though.
Yikes! That sounds pretty intense. You are very nice. That is really hard, I hate having to get people off the phone.
ok, this is my great fear abot all religions--the evangelizing. I just can't take t.
I empathize
Post a Comment