Thursday, December 14, 2006

Mr. Scoobs Gives Us a Scare

Tuesday evening I picked the girls up late from school. They had a special drama class after school. When we came in the door Scooby greeted us with his usual excitement. The girls hung up their coats and Maddie leaned down to pick up her violin case. As she picked it up and turned to take it into the living room, she bonked Scooby on the side of the head. He yipped once and Maddie immediately leaned down to see if he was ok. She then apologized profusely and gave him 5 treats to prove her remorse.

Meanwhile, I started fixing supper. The White family was coming for dinner and I needed to get my soup started! While I was working in the kitchen Jon came home. He greeted us all and started talking to Scooby. "Hi, Scoobs! How are you? Do you want a treat? Are you ok, Mr. Scoobs? Do you want your supper?" "Hey, is Scooby ok?" "Yeah, he's fine! We just got home about 15 minutes ago." Perhaps I was a bit distracted in the kitchen. So Jon hangs up his coat and puts his work stuff away.

Meanwhile, I'm still working in the kitchen and Jon tries to get Scooby to go outside. Oh, my GOSH! He can hardly walk and his head is tilted to one side! What's going on ? Is he having a stroke? Is he having a seizure? We cannot figure out what is going on. Then the Whites arrive and we explain what is going on. By now, Scooby cannot even stand, Jon is holding him and his leg is all stiff. He lays him down on his pillow in the living room. K & W are equally concerned and we're trying to figure out what to do. Then Scooby throws up! Jon takes him outside while I clean up.

W holds Scooby while Jon calls the vet. Things are just getting worse. We notice that his left eye is moving independently of his right eye and is just going left-right-left-right uncontrollably. OMG! Jon puts his bed in the car and heads off to the vet. K & W graciously offer to stay with the girls while we both go, but I am afraid that would really freak the girls out. Meanwhile, I am REALLY freaking out inside. Now that Jon and Scooby are gone, it seems like a good idea to have a drink. Hmmm....shots, perhaps? We settle on a bottle of red. I finish getting dinner ready and before we sit down, we decide I should call Jon.

He was just about to call us! They had just seen the doctor. She thinks that Scooby has a CONCUSSION! We just need to keep an eye on him for a few days. Jon says he is already improving. Oh thank goodness! That seems like the absolute best scenario it could be! Yay!!!
We sit down to eat and eventually Jon gets home with Mr. Scoobs and joins us. Scooby is already much improved and takes his usual place under the table while we eat. Whew. Thank you K & W for your moral support and graciousness! As I write this, he is completely back to normal.

Oh, Mr. Scoobs, you gave us quite a scare!

4 comments:

pete. said...

We're so glad he's okay! Give him our best...

the meredoerr said...

yikes! I would have been freaking out too! Glad he is ok.

kww said...

I am also so glad Scooby is okay. I was really worried. That eye thing was freaking me out really bad. But momster--you were totally cool during all this, and that soup was FABULOUS! I am just so glad that Scooby and Jon came home pretty quickly.
And never forget-- we are always here to do shots with you...

or to eat soup.

la Ketch said...

Oh thank God Mr. Scoobs is ok. Whenever eliott gets sick it's so horrible because he can't tell us what's going on. we stayed up all night with him last month because we gave him a piece of tuna to eat and the seasoning didn't do well with him. it was so scary because his breathing was all funny. Thank god he was fine in the morning. I'm so glad Scoob is ok!