My Favorite Things About October
(Inspired by ScoobyDrew)
5. It's my birthday month! It is also my daughter's birthday month! I remember going out to dinner at Jams for my birthday 7 years ago with jonnynono and blade and little M. I was 'out-to-here' hugely pregnant. It was hard to reach my food at the table. M was just a little tyke, and they didn't have a kids menu, but they kindly made her a grilled cheese. My little J was born just 1 week later!
4. It's officially time for seasonal food changes. Grilled items are replaced by things like pot roast and home-made soups. I made corn chowder the other night. Yum! I love making soup for dinner- all you need is a salad and some bread and you're done!
I do have some questions related to that:
a) How do they make 'FAT FREE' half-and half?
b) Why are 'New York Style Bagel Chips' (an excellent topper for corn showder) made in BULGARIA?
3. Seasonal Clothing Changes. Hoodies! Sweaters! Jeans! Turtlenecks! Clunky brown shoes! Jackets! Need I say more? And getting to wear these items, oh, say, at a soccer game or on a walk, and feeling completely comfortable and un-sweaty. And do flannel sheets count as clothing? Probably not, but I love it when it's finally cold enough to exchange the smooth and chilly sheets with the soft and warm ones.
2. Going to Haunted Houses with the Youth Group. Saturday night we went to Scary Acres. This place has 4 different scary things: a haunted house, haunted castle, haunted forest, and a corn maze. It's great for a youth group, because we can go as a big group and then everyone can go off and do what they want. They also have several bonfires and a place to buy snacks.
There were a couple of boys from our group (7th graders) who were being a bit mouthy to the scary people walking around. Things like " Hey, can I borrow your chain-saw?" "Hey, want to go out?" Macho stuff. Well, I asked them which thing they wanted to do first and they decided on the castle. So, I sent them off, telling them I'd meet them back at the bonfires. After about 5 minutes of waiting in line, one of them came running back to me. "Hey, Kathy, will you come with us? Please? Please?" So I join them. We wait in line and then it's our turn. James wants to be in front because he is NOT afraid. He is cool. Fast forward through several scary, creepy and loud moments. James would NOT proceed. Neither would the other two boys. They were pushing each other ahead in a dark corridor. There were 3 patient people behind us. After a shoving match between the boys, I go in front.
I don't like to be in front! But I did it so we could just get through! It is pitch black. I would rather see something scary than nothing at all. I am feeling my way through. The corridor is getting smaller. James is holding onto my jacket. There are 6 people behind me, pushing on me. I am starting to panic. Did I go the wrong way? We can't fit through here! I can't back up- there are people behind me. I feel a whoosh of panic. I feel like I can't breathe. In a moment, I'm going to start screaming! Finally, I squeeze through and the others follow. There are several other scary moments, but none as scary as the claustrophobia corridor. Way worse than any elevator I have ever been in.
1. Halloween Costumes. My daughters have made their selections. J said, "Mom, I want to be scary. I'm going to be Dracula!" This was surprising to me. I expected her to say a princess or a pop star. So, we found a cape for $5 and some awesome fangs and make-up. Cool.
M is going to be Hermione Granger (Harry Potter's friend). Yes! Another easy one! Just need a cape, a tie, and a wand! Photos WILL be posted!
Hooray for October!
Monday, October 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Yay for a top five and yay for birthdays!
Pot Roast = YUM! Kate made it for us the other night and it was delish!
I am eternally afraid of haunted houses - perhaps I'll post a story about that sometime.
awww. the day j was born i was going to make drunken noodles for you and jonnynono. but instead you went into labor. and you still have never had those noodles.
Happy Birthday Momster!!!!!
I second the question about half an half. I mean, at least one of those "half"'s is supposed to be fat, isn't it?
Watie
I KNOW!
I think it means 1/2 milk and 1/2 cream. But obviously both of those have fat!
What's up with that?
And yes, I am still waiting on the drunken noodles!
I can't believe that it is almost the end of October and I am just now reading htis!!!
Also, I know how to make Drunken noodles--perhaps you should come over for some in the November month.
Post a Comment