Thursday, August 17, 2006

Mr. Mild Mannered

My husband is very mild mannered. It takes a lot to get him riled. That is probably why we make a good match. Here is a story about Mr. Mild Mannered.
Last Sunday we drove home to Omaha from Estes Park, Colorado. It is roughly a 9-1/2 hour drive. We have a van and had it filled to the brim with 2 daughters, a dog, bikes and a weeks worth of luggage. Our girls are seasoned travellers and take these road trips in stride. We have certain little rituals and places we like to stop, like North Platte for lunch and gas or Julesberg to see the tipis (and once we saw a snake there, too).
On our way back across the state stopped in North Platte and instead of Quizno's we decided to eat a Taco Bell. The Taco Bell was part of a gas station. This worked out well because we also needed gas and Jon noticed that the price was considerably lower than the place we went before.

So, the girls and I go to the bathroom and get our lunch while Jon gets gas. (Yes, I realize that we will ALL be getting gas eventually after eating Taco Bell.) We meet him out at the van and he's looking at his receipt with a scowl on his face. "I think they just overcharged me for this gas," says he. Hmmm. The sign says $3.09 and he got charged $3.38/gallon. After closer scrutiny, Jon realizes that the sign says (in much smaller print) "E-10 unleaded on pumps 1 & 2." (We aren't even supposed to USE ethanol in our van!) I think the sign must have said (in even squintier print) "The rest of our gas is outrageously overpriced and we can get away with it because we're right on the interstate and we know you want that Taco Bell."

Anyway, because he feels he has been duped by sinister signage, he goes in to talk to the clerk. Meanwhile I am passing out burritos and drinks and getting ready for the last leg of our trip. When Jon comes back I ask what he said to the guy. "Oh, I just told him that I thought that was unfair advertising."

Skip forward to 2 nights later. We are watching our marathon of 24 season 2 which Bladio and Pete have kindly let us borrow. After a while, Jon says, "So, I never told you what I said to that gas station clerk." "I thought you told him that his sign was false advertising," I say. "Well, yeah, I did say that..."
"Why? What else did you say?"
"Well..."
"Seriously, what else did you say?"
"Um...well..."
"Come ON!"
"I said, 'I AM NEVER COMING BACK TO THIS PIECE OF SHIT PLACE!'"

5 comments:

bladio said...

go jon go!

jonnynono said...

I figure Conoco owes me $3.60. But the clerk didn't see it that way.

pete. said...

Wow!! Man, that's inspiring! I feel like goin' out right now and getting ripped off. Question, though: Did Jon start by telling the guy, "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry?"

kww said...

That is hilarious! Jon, you rock! I wish I could have heard you say it. Is there a way to put sound clips on the blog--this is worth investigating...or maybe we should just move to Omaha and try to have you say it live and in person. (Of course as part of a reenactment, not after ripping you off).

P. S. I will hold a grudge against that gas station and taco bell forever!

la Ketch said...

hilarious.