Jon and I went to see Fiona Apple and Coldplay in concert tonight. It was a great show. It was our Valentine gift to each other. Fiona sounded great- I love her smoky cool voice. Coldplay is definitely a band to see live. Their sound is excellent. For some reason I haven't been able to stop thinking about the first concert I went to with Jon. We were in college and I actually went with a guy named Mark and Jon went with a girlfriend of mine. She used him. Just to go to the concert. We went to see 'The Boss' aka Bruce Springsteen. It was awesome. He is an excellent showman and played for three solid hours.
Ok, so, here is how things are a little different now. Before 'The Boss' we chugged a bottle of Cold Duck. Just passed it around, pouring it into our mouths- no glasses or anything. (Before that we ate at the university's food service.) Tonight, Jon and I ate at a nice little restaurant called La Buvette. I had 2 glasses of chardonnay, Jon had 2 Bass Ales, and we shared the cheese plate and gravlax salmon plate.
Back then Jon stood in line for hours to buy his tickets with cash. This time he bought them online with a credit card, printed the page, and they scanned the bar code when we entered.
Back then we walked about a mile to Hilton Coliseum because none of us had cars. Tonight Jon went to pick up the babysitter and brought her to our house. After we went over all the rules and the schedule for our daughters, and left the cell phone # in a prominent spot, we drove downtown and parked strategically somewhere between the restaurant and the Qwest Center.
Back then people waved their lighters in the air. Now they use their cell phones.
Back then we had floor seats and I stood and danced the whole time. This time I sat for most of the concert and didn't miss a thing.
Back then I sang along to every single song (loudly). This time I sang along to every single song (mediumly).
Back then the music was loud and accompanied by a fantastic light show.This time the music was loud and was accompanied by a fantastic light show.
Back then the air was filled with a certain sweet smoke that can only be called doobie. This time, there was NOT EVEN A HINT of that smokey sweetness in the air. WHAT THE HELL IS THIS WORLD COMING TO?
Monday, February 20, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
what a sad state of affairs! you need to add a stop off at your schwag dealer in there somewhere. perhaps after you give the baby sitter the rules and before you have the chardonay... i need to get that fionna apple cd.
I'm just happy that this time my date didn't ditch me for some ^$%**@ frat boy after she got me to pay for the concert!
So far, anyway.
Coldplay does indeed rock, by the way!
Cold duck--really? I like the mental image of you guys passing around the bottle. Were you outside in the parking lot? Did you have a brown paper bag? As to smoking the doobie-- I hear crystal meth has come to town--smell anything that reminded you of burning plastic?
I think the last real concert I saw was Bruce Springsteen, funny. He definitely rocks. I will have to check out fiona apple as well. And coldplay too I guess. Yikes! I may have to move back to get hip.
Glad you're back.
kww
I don't go for frat boys- they're not my type.
We drank the cold duck in somebody's dorm room, I think it was my girlfriend's.
And, no, I did not smell any burning plastic, thank God. That meth stuff scares the bejeebers out of me. I guess schwag is pretty small time, now, huh?
i love coldplay and fiona apple. i can't imagine how awesome it would be to see them on the same night!
how nice for you that someone who loves you strongly encouraged you to go to that show even if it meant a weeknight babysitter.
seriously though. i'm so glad you went.
jjs - i'm glad that lady ditched you or else you wouldn't be my B-I-L.
Indeed, Bladio. Thanks for the convincing. It actually worked out great since school was out for everyone on Monday and Tuesday. No need to worry about a late school night for the babysitter! :-)
I was dubious about that cell phone thing until I saw it--it is impressive! Except I didn't have a cell phone. Time was I always had a lighter though. Ah, changes. Glad the show was good. Both Fiona and Coldplay took me by total surprise.
Bladio-
Thanks, I'm glad to be your B-I-L!
The "lady" who ditched me was no loss, even at the time. I was mostly just annoyed that I put out my hard-earned $16.50 (wow, that WAS a long time ago) for the Springsteen tickets under false pretenses!
I tried to get my girlfriend tickets to their LA show, and it was sold out in five minutes!
However, we got to see Fiona Apple at the ultracool supperclub/music venue Largo recently, with Jon Brion, and it was one of the greatest music experiences ever.
As for Springsteen...I have seen him 10 times now, and it never, ever gets old...
What a great Valentine's this year, and a great first concert experience...
helloooooooooooooooooo!
I know....I KNOW!!!!!!!
Post a Comment