I need some guidance. My part-time job entails being the Youth Director at my church. Part of this job entails coordinating fellowship and service activities for Jr. and Sr. High kids. Another part of this job is coordinating an annual 'Youth Sunday' where the youth plan and present an entire worship service. The congregation loves Youth Sunday and is very supportive of their efforts. Here is where you poetry experts come in.
They want to do a 'poetry slam' for at least part of the service. We have some very intelligent kids and I'm sure that some of them can write something appropriate. What I need are some possible resources for inspiriation. Do any of you have some suggestions for 'spiritual' poetry? I would truly appreciate any input you have!
Sincerely,
Momster
Youth Director
Presbyterian Church of the Master
Thursday, January 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I didn't see this post till now for some reason...
Did this already happen? If not, do you want suggestions of Spiritual Poetry for them to read
or as inspiration for them to write
to perform for the slam?
WEll, both. Some of them are creative enough to write their own stuff (with inspiration, of course), but some would appreciate just reading something.
THank you, Pete!
Oh my. I've scratcbed my head. And scratched. I'm coming up blank, Momster! The spiritual poetry I know is either really old-fashioned stuff like Gerard Manley Hopkins, or Eastern like Rumi and the Japanese poets. I'd recommend Whitman, Mary Oliver... Spiritual poets in that they see the Divine expressed in nature and humanity. Classic African-American spirituals have a lot of passion and energy that might inspire slam-style poetry. I'll keep thinking.
Thanks, Pete!
Have you heard of Khalil Gibran (sp)? Or Ann Weems? I've read some of their stuff and liked it, but I'd like your critical input on them.
I've read The Prophet and liked it.
I don't know Ann Weems. I'm curious, though. Maybe our library has something...
Thanks, Pete. I almost forgot to keep looking down here! I liked the Prophet, too. Jon gave it to me several years ago.
Maybe that coyld be a starting point.
Post a Comment