Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The PTA Lady

I am known as the 'PTA Lady' at the Great Western Bank on 72nd and Maple. This is why: About three weeks ago I walked in there with a Hy-Vee grocery sack containing a deposit of $27,853.00 in cash and checks. (There were almost 900 checks. I know this because I stamped 'For Deposit Only- Boyd PTA' on all of them.) It was the proceeds from our fall fundraiser. The kids sold things like frozen pizza, cookie dough, gift wrap and other things you don't really need but feel compelled to buy. Our actual earnings will be about half of the above amount.
A week later I went in and they remembered me. I think the teller was relieved that my deposit was only $5,271.23! That was proceeds from Open House where we sold t-shirts, pizza & pop, and had a Book Fair. Let me tell you, PTA is big business.
I have had a few jobs where I got to do deposits. The first one was in 9th grade at the city softball field concession stand. For this one I would add up all the money and do the deposit slip but the manager would take it to the bank. Those totals were usually around $100 unless it was a weekend tournament and then it could be around $1000. (This is also where I learned that if you make the popcorn nice and salty, people will buy more drinks.)
The second one was when I was the assistant manager of our neighborhood swimming pool. I would fill out deposits from concessions and it would maybe be $75-100 or so per day. You have to sell a lot of Laffy Taffy at 5 cents a shot. (This is where I learned that soda from those dispensers costs about 3 cents per serving- talk about a mark-up!)
My last job with depositing duties was when I worked at a flower shop in an upscale shopping center called Countryside Village. People paid top whack for these flowers and plants. It was a nice shop and everyone knew the owner and would stop in a request something special. And the deposits there? Usually less than $100 a day! This is where I learned that rich people can just have accounts at places and put things on their 'charge'.
I am the Deposit Treasurer for the PTA at my daughters' school. This is a separate duty from the regular treasurer who balances the accounts and writes the checks. This is so we don't embezzle any money. I bet you didn't know it would be worthwhile to embezzle anything from the PTA! If you see a Mom get out of her mini-van and walk towards the bank with an inconspicuous but heavy sack in her hand, you better know she means business.

4 comments:

bladio said...

good golly! i hope you had a can of mace with you.

pete. said...

Wow! That's a lot of money. Watch out if Tom Delay asks to joing your PTA!

Anonymous said...

Do boyd beaver alumni get to tap into the funds? I am sure the school would not be what it is today without the legacy of their 3 most famous students....you, me and jen. hee-hee
Take scooby with you to the bank, you need a good security dog!

Anonymous said...

Ha, ha! Unfortunately I think our only reward is to have the 'Boyd Beaver Song' permanently etched on our hearts!