Greetings, detectives. Here is a mystery for you to solve.
Every night for the past week or so, after turning out my reading lamp and trying to go to sleep, I have had a coughing fit accompanied by watery eyes and a stuffy nose. On the sixth night of this occurence, I suddenly jumped out of bed exclaiming 'I know what it is!', and the annoyance was eliminated.
Can you figure out what was causing my problem?
Some bedtime-related details to write down in your detective notepads are:
1. I brush and floss my teeth
2. I wash my face, apply clarifying lotion with a cotton pad, and then apply moisturizer
3. I wash my glasses and place them on my dresser
4. I go to the bathroom, wash my hands, and apply hand lotion
5. I climb into bed and read for a while until I get sleepy
6. My nightstand has a telephone and is stacked with books and dust
7. The back of my bed has my reading lamp, more books, and dust
8. The back of my bed also had a flower on it from my daughter which I threw away because I thought it was causing the problem. It wasn't.
9. I sleep on flannel sheets which had gotten washed two days before I noticed the problem.
10. Sometimes we sleep with a window open, sometimes not.
11. I have not changed name-brands of any products I use.
Feel free to ask any questions and I will answer to the best of my ability. May the best detective win!
Monday, April 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
21 comments:
dust in your nose when you set the book down and turn off the light.
Nope that's not it. But perhaps I should dust!
JJS started wearing a fur coat to bed.
:-) Uh, nope.
I'm stumped... This routine you described, is there anything new about it?
No, nothing new about the routine.
have you been leaving the cotton pad in your nose?
Um, NO!
it has to be the dust. dust is the most common allergy!
Well, embarrassingly so, the dust is still there but the problem is gone.
is your book made of papyrus and it turns out you're allergic to that?
UGH WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO TELL US! I'M GOING CRAZY!
please just tell us when you will tell us.
Tell us! I'm sooo stumped!
I can't even come up with a good question--I am the lamest of detectives. Is it related to pollen?
Do any of your bedtime routines involve cilantro? That would make anyone sick!
No, Jon. It's YOU who is allergic to cilantro!
I will give you one more clue, everyone:
I sleep with my hands up by my face.
Did you perhaps not rub in the hand lotion properly?
The hand lotion was thoroughly rubbed in. (Therein lies the rub.)
did you pick your nose and then leave your fingers in your nostrils?
No, I picked my nose and then took my fingers out.
Oooh, I really don't know...is it true that one can piece this together with the clues you've given? Did you polish your rings with something you are allergic too? Going to sleep with wet nailpolish and breathing the fumes? Dirt and pollen under your fingernails?
Post a Comment