The other day I was driving to work. Earlier in the day it had been really foggy but it was starting to clear a little bit. I was listening to one of Jon's compilation CDs. He does really awesome compilations with themes and labels and case covers and everything. This was his third disc with the 'acoustical' theme. As I was driving I realized that the post-holiday blues were settling in. I get this feeling every year. Family has gone home, kids back in school, no more excitement, things back to normal, no more surprises, I don't want to go to work, it's cloudy and cold. Blah.
I'm driving along, sort of listening to music and mostly just feeling sad when here comes this song that speaks to me. It is melancholy, just how I'm feeling, but at the part where he sings 'put a little sunshine in your life' the SUN actually starts to come out! It pokes out from behind the clouds and STAYS OUT! Synchronicity, right La Ketch?
Faith pours from your walls, drowning your calls
I’ve tried to hear, you’re not near
Remembering when I saw your face
Shining my way, pure timing
Now I’ve fallen in deep, slow silent sleep
It’s killing me, I’m dying
To put a bit of sunshine in your life
Soleil all over you, warm sun pours over me
Soleil all over you
Warm sun
Now this slick fallen rift came like a gift
Your body moves ever nearer
And you will dry this tear
Now that we’re here, and grieve for me, not history
But now I’m dry of thoughts, wait for the rain
Then it’s replaced, sun setting
And suddenly we’re in love with everything
Soleil all over you, warm sun pours over me
Soleil all over you
Warm sun
The song is The Shining by Badly Drawn Boy. Give it a listen.
It made me feel better. I still didn't want to go to work, but it made me feel better. I've always longed for sunshine. I miss it when the days get shorter. I don't care if its 20 degrees and there is snow on the ground, if the sun is out, I'm ok. When I was a kid my freckles would pop out in April and my mom tells me that only my hands would get brown before it was warm enough for short sleeves. I spent hours in the sun at the neighborhood swimming pool. This was before sunscreen. I was a blondie who would become brown as a bean.
When I was in high school I was a lifeguard at that same pool. Still no sunscreen, still brown as a bean and happy as can be. Now my love of sunshine is starting to show on my face. My cute little freckles have morphed into *gasp* AGE SPOTS. My squinty-in-the-sunshine eyes have become wrinkly. I don't care. I still love to bask in the sun. I even wear sunscreen now (mostly because my sister has nagged me about it for the past 10 years). But I'll always love the sun. It makes me happy. Yay for Soleil.
Friday, January 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I LOVE THE SUN TOO!! i'm the same way, when it's out the glass is half full and if it's not, the glass is half empty. i can't help it. Great Synchronistic moment! i love it...
I actually get freaked out by the sun...when it's sunny for too long
in Seattle. In the right place it's great, but last year we had this long, freaky sunny spell when it should've been raining. I was on edge! Bladioblogio can vouch for that.
So does that mean you say 'Nay for soleil'? It's a concept i just don't understand.
Post a Comment